Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Potato onions

 I received a wonderful gift in the mail yesterday, My friend (D.....) sent me some of her father in-laws potato onions. She said they were yellow onions with a strong flavor. The are definitely, multiplier onions.   Where with normal onions, you plant 1 bulb, you get 1 onion. Multiplier and potato onions (you plant 1 bulb and it splits up into many onions.)

You may ask, What is a potato onion?
The original onions our ancestors grew were potato onions.
They are not uniform is size or shape. They have been passed down from parents to kids many times. They are becoming lost to the world of food.Because, everyone wants perfect uniform looking veggies. So onions have been bred for size shape and taste. This is the price we pay for commercial produce.  We loose the old world heirloom foods. I am so lucky to be given this gift.

She told me "My father in law brought them to Indiana from Kentucky where they were growing wild on a property, they had years ago."

So for now. I am going to call them (The Holland family potato onion) Because he discovered this one.It is not like any other I have been looking at online.
She also included Gladiola bulbs
These seem to grow in groups of 3
Not sure if paper is brown or red
 I wonder if this could be the red potato onion?
Please let me know if you have seen this variety before.
Have a wonderful day and remember to laugh and play.Photobucket

2 comments:

Sharon said...

The wild onions growing around here are pretty much inedible. Way too potent, and nothing like the size of yours. Always nice to get a gift from a friend. Glad bulbs too, how nice!

Grammy said...

These may have been what someone planted long before he moved to that property.