Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

No dig garden 1

My no dig topsoil garden
I will be gardening by the moon phases today I am doing a few red potatoes.
March 21 - 22 is Root Crops, example Horseradish, Sweet potato



I started by buying 30 bags of top soil bout $40.00 worth. I laid them double wide around one side of the garden. the photo to the right shows how you can put them in fount of your flowers and hide the bags with mulch later.
Then I cut an x in the bottom of the bag and flipped it over.

I cut an x and a square in the top and mixed in cow manure and peat moss. I place the potato 1 per a bag and pulled the plastic back up around it. so It will not be fully exposed to the elements. I will place mulch over the bags and a plastic hoop house to protect it from frost for now. I will show more tomorrow. as the 23 - 25 of march is Flower crops, e.g. beans, peas for moon gardening. I will plant broccoli . 4-6 seed per a bag.
You can grow most any thing that is not a deep root crop this way. Corn is one that need deeper roots. but if you work the dirt below the bag and open the split under the bag for the roots to go deeper any thing can be grown this way.














Planting by the Moon

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, radishes and other root crops Moon in Taurus (best results) or moon in Capricorn (good results) Waning moon when moon is in Taurus or Capricorn

PhotobucketHave a wonderful day and remember to laugh and play.Photobucket

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

10 comments:

Gail said...

Marcy is busy planting too. She grew several wonderful plants like this last year and she had tomatoes even after the frost.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I've heard of this, Grammy... Keep us posted as to how it works for you.
Hugs,
Betsy

Wendy said...

I remember you telling us about this back in the winter. Now it's time! Wow - what a lot of work you are doing. I am sure you will reap great rewards. Can't wait to see the results!
Hugs

Denise said...

Wow, that will be awesome sweetie.

playsdolls said...

Looks like you are ready for gardening season.We have already plowed and rowed up our garden,we will plant vegies on Good Friday.I may try your no dig gardening for my tomatoes ans keep them closer to the house.
It is good to see you back,hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Renee said...

This looks wonderful! I think I'm going to try this out. Is this easy enough for a novice gardner to do? What veggies would you recommend to start with?

Lady Katherine said...

Great idea, I seen them grow Tomato in them, Hubby turned 5 galllon buckets upside down and grew some. But the soil drys out so fast.
PS Thanks for coming my, I been so behind on blogging, my computer is slower,after installing more window updates and security. Where I use to visit in an afternoon it takes days. I got up at 5am and started adding site in and its going a lot faster. With Grandchildren for months and lot of stress going on. Its been a little tough. I am excited if this new thing works for me and stops blocking all my blogging sites!
PS I am so happy you want to join in by having a Tea Party in your home on my Birthday. Can't wait to see it. I know you are loving having your Grandchild, Charlotte told me you came through Mississippi, from what she said you were probably 10 miles from my house at one time.

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard of doing it this way but sure looks doable. Seems fairly simple. :)

George said...

We've got so many rocks under a thin layer of soil here on the Plateau that a no dig garden is the only way to go. I look forward to more lessons.

Carla said...

This moon stuff is something I want to learn, keep posting. I think I may do some 'bag' planting in an area by our garden. Great post E!