Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Internet helps


I was reading this on yahoo news today

Link Web Surf to Save Your Aging Brain

The new study takes the use-it-or-lose-it concept into the 21st century.

For the research, 24 neurologically normal adults, aged 55 to 78, were asked to surf the Internet while hooked up to an MRI machine. Before the study began, half the participants had used the Internet daily, and the other half had little experience with it.

After an initial MRI scan, the participants were instructed to do Internet searches for an hour on each of seven days in the next two weeks. They then returned to the clinic for more brain scans.

"At baseline, those with prior Internet experience showed a much greater extent of brain activation," Small said.

After at-home practice, however, those who had just been introduced to the Internet were catching up to those who were old hands, the study found.

I knew this was true from my own usage.

The more I use the Internet to learn the more I feel like I am getting back to normal. As some of you already know, I was in a car accident in 2005, where we were hit from the rear. I hit the back and top of my head . This caused some memory loss, confusion, stress. and some loss of motor skills. I could not turn a screw to install an electrical plug. I hurt my self using a drill to install screws in the sub floor. So I gave up on finishing the rehab to this house I am currently living in.

I have hope that my carpentry skills will return. I will soon start small projects to see if I can do it again. I still have the knowledge. I just need my hands and back to listen.

But my brain is learning. I have moved to more creative things like art, writing. And crafts. My spelling skills have improved. But I still have to read my post several times to see if I made mistakes. My crying wolf post was my first try at telling you a poetic story with out giving you all the details. Not many knew the point I was trying to convey. So I do not know if I succeeded with creative writing on that one.

The meaning of that story was I have a child who is crying wolf.

Have a wonderful day and remember to laugh and play.Photobucket


9 comments:

Mark said...

Grammy,
Interesting study, thanks for sharing. Both of parents had Alzheimers in the end. It will be wonderful if by keeping my brain active if it would help to prevent this disease.

Grammy said...

Hi Mark, My youngest works on the Alzheimers ward at the VA hospital. And research has proven if you keep your mind learning. It will take longer for you to get it. But on set is faster. You wake up one day and have it. Where if you do not learn you start sooner, and suffer longer before total loss is brought on.

Carla said...

Amazing how this across the board! What a wonderful link. I do know that a game or two a day gets the juices flowing too. ALSO, I was thinking today, instead of being upset that I forget, rejoice that I remember:) Love your skull! Candle or jell?

Grammy said...

Hi Carla the scull is Jeremy's brain slime from the other day. When he play the mad scientist. It was in the kit.

Jill said...

A family member had a stroke 10 years ago and lost his speech, reading and some motor skill. He continues to progress - can speak well - more or less normally, can read enough to get by and has overcome and adapted to his compromised motor skills - you will do it too - keep trying, the brain is amazing, it can adapt to so much.

Gail said...

YOU CAN DO THIS, yes, I am speaking loudly. I know you can, look how far you have come already. You are blessed and we are blessed to know you.

Sue said...

Seriously, I don't know HOW we lived before the internet...it's such a great resource...so much information out there.
Best of luck on your continued recovery!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm so glad your recovery is positive. I too was in a accident in college totaling three cars and me. I had trouble with short term memory and lost my ability to spell. Try to cram for a test under those circumstances, heeeheehe! I thank God for pocket dictionaries. It got me through. Spelling was never my strong-suit but we are blessed with spellchecker. Woohoooo!

Have a great day maybe tomorrow well see the sun!!!

Wendy said...

It makes sense - use it or lose it! I also have learned a great deal via the internet. It's a wonderful place to keep current, make friends, and learn a lot!

I'm glad you have recovered from your accident. Trauma takes time to heal.

Blessings.