Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

Growing a rainbow of carrots

On May 15, 2015,  I planted my carrots. I know it is late. But they will still grow. I put celery in the first row bottom of photo going up.  I put a Karari Melon from India in the corner. Next row, I sprinkled Atomic Red. cosmic purple,  Solar Yellow, Tender Sweet orange Carrots. I have an all white too. I am just going to sprinkle around. so it will be a surprise each to me I find one. LOL
This is a 4 foot by 6 foot raised bed. Only 4 inches tall. But I hope the soil below will be loose enough for them to grow deeper. If not I will have short carrots.
Next year I will raise the bed higher. Adding more compost to keep the soil loose and rich in nutrients.
Update: Now it is  May 25.2015. Some of the carrots have sprouted.
 I have dried grass between the rows. This helped to retain moisture.
 The Karari Melon has sprouted also

1 comment:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I need to google Karari Melon. Don't have any of my melon in yet.
Coffee is on