Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Art and animals

This was the first place I found the painting link Goya’s Ghosts,
2nd place Link Goya's "Don Manuel Osorio Manrique de Zúñiga"

I have had this Goya Lithograph since 1977.
It has been through a house fire and 4 moves and has survived. It was old when I received it from a neighbor when I was a kid. She was going to just throw it in the trash.


This is so amazing You have to look close to see the hidden cat.


Me and Art
Before I was 10 years old I loved animals and Art. My neighbor at our 2nd home was a collector. I felt honored she brought me in and showed me her art collection. That 1 time left a lasting memory on me. This picture has always had a place of honor in my home. My friend a number of times said I should get ride of it as it did not work with my decor. But no way this is my childhood treasure. I would get rid of my decor before it would go. I am eclectic so any thing goes. At my old home it went toward a south west and native American flair. But this still had it's own place. I had no ideal this was a Goya painting till the Sheba cat food commercial came on tv and it was in it. Here is a link to his painting some one else took in New York: The Metropolitan Museum
.
About the portrait
They say this portrait represents the son of the Conde De Altamira. Outfitted in a splendid red costume, Don Manuel is shown playing with a pet magpie (which holds the painter's calling card in its beak), a cage full of finches, and three wide-eyed cats. In Christian art, birds frequently symbolize the soul, and in Baroque art caged birds are symbolic of innocence. Goya may have intended this portrait as an illustration of the frail boundaries that separate the child's world from the forces of evil, or as a commentary on the fleeting nature of innocence and youth. The picture is one of several portraits commissioned by the Altamiras after Goya was appointed painter to the king (1786). It may have been executed after the child's death in 1792, since the imagery and sinister undertone seem more characteristic of Goya's works of the 1790s.

Impulse Buy

Look what I found while searching for this info. A doll . Yes I bought it. He he He is art not a toy.
There was the only 2 on the Internet The small photo is the one they will be sending me in the box. This is an Effanbee 1985 Limited Edition 14" Doll. It portraits Francisco De Goya;s Portrait painting DON MANUEL OSORIO MANRIQUE de ZUNIGA'. Is made of vinyl with dark rooted hair and sleep eyes and lashes. He was hand-painted. It comes with the original certificate of ownership.
My cat
Reba and her wisdom for today.


Pleas take a look at cammera critters meme to see some real animals too.

28 comments:

George said...

Thanks for the information, Grammy. I'm glad you found a bargain while doing your research.

Grammy said...

Hi George, He was not a bargain. He was a impulse buy. I have never bought and old doll for the price of this one. This is not a play doll it is art and a treasure. To pass on to Jozlyn.

Rose said...

Interesting...I enjoyed your post.

Susan Demeter said...

What a terrific painting! And as a doll collector I can also appreciate your find. Now how cool is that to find while your looking up info!

Thanks for your visit :)

Teena in Toronto said...

Very cool picture of the hidden kitty!

I played too :)

Carolina said...

That painting is beautiful. Had to look twice before I found the third cat. Great!

Anonymous said...

Very clever take on CC...

Mom Knows Everything said...

I never saw the kitty until you pointed it out. Very cool!

Denise said...

That is so cool.

Lapa37 said...

Nice pictures the dolls are lovely and so is the hidden kitty.

Oskar said...

They really should have used a schnauzer instead of those cats.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Fascinating post, Grammy. I had to look hard to find the hidden cat.

Snap said...

Thanks for dropping by. I love your doll and good for you! You deserve it. Love Reba's wisdom!

Bruce said...

Nice artwork. That artist knew the value of a cat:)

EG CameraGirl said...

Congrats on finding the art doll. It must be your reward for doing the research. ;-)

Carletta said...

Lovely painting!
How wonderful you found the doll to go with it.

Wendy said...

Wow - you did well! Finding the doll and keeping the painting through all those moves.
Love the pic of your little Lady of the Lake. Hope she continues to do well.
Hugs

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

The cat gets me

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Grammy, Gorgeous painting. Glad it made it through the years---with you!!!!

I am so glad you got the doll also. It's a treasure to pass on to other generations.

Thanks for a great post.
Hugs,
Betsy

Indrani said...

Childhood treasures are precious, I too don't part with them.

b13 said...

I would love to see a set up shot with real kitties to mimic the painting once you get the doll.

Dianne said...

I love the painting!! clearly it was meant to survive and be with you

Anonymous said...

Hmm, what does that hidden black cat symbloize? made me think. Glad you were able to have it than be thrown away!

Zaroga said...

Nice painting and a good find on the doll.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Unknown said...

A pet magpie? how fun! Love the painting!

Ebb Tide said...

Good post about keeping a good art. I knew someone who gave away a beautiful painting because her interior decorator told her it didn't match w/ the color of her decor. She believed the interior decorator and didn't treasure that painting. Today the owner of that painting are so proud of it and the value went up. The original owner wanted it back but it's too late. The lesson, keep an art even if it doesn't match w/ your color. Matchy -matchy is no longer a trend. I admire your doll. Good collection.

Carla said...

What a treasure! I'm like you, stuff I like is in my home, stuff matches up the way I want, because it is my home. Congrats on your new 'baby'!!! I know you will be very excited to receive this 'son' in the mail:)

Have a great day:)